Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Planning out event coverage

For my first in-class story coverage, I will be attending the "One Maryland, One Book" speaker on Thursday, September 25. The speaker is Cedric Jennings, the subject of nationally best-selling book "A Hope in the Unseen."
The advance information about the event is really just who is speaking and where the event is going to be. Not a whole lot to go on, but I plan on researching the book to better prepare myself.
My main sources will be the people at Cook Library who are helping to sponsor the event. I'll be in touch with them in the next couple of days. I'll also try to talk to Jennings himself briefly after the event.
I haven't quite narrowed down what questions I'm going to ask - I rarely ever write out exactly what I'm going to ask an interview subject simply because not every interview plays out how I want it to. I'll simply try to touch on some subjects, such as what it's like to have a book written about you, what it's like to go and speak to a college audience or how Jennings' Towson experience has been. I also plan on talking to people attending the event and get their views on how the book is and how they thought the speaker was.
As far as additional details, I need to pay attention to the event itself and anything out of the ordinary that may happen.

1 comment:

jenny atwater said...

How did it go? We'll have to discuss your coverage in class--whether or not you felt good about the questions you asked, etc.