Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Obligitory (and required) first.

I think this is the fourth or fifth blog I've had on this website over the course of about a year and a half. I tried to get into my old account (I had needed to make one for my Using Info Effectively class I had last semester and for some reason it's not there) and failed.
Oh well.

My name's Carrie Wood. You may recognize it from The Towerlight's staff list. I'm the arts editor there, but I also cover the Towson University baseball team.
Covering baseball is what I really want to do as a career. I don't really care where I end up geographically as long as I get to do that.
I've had pretty extensive exposure to the media so far in my young adult life - my father's been a sportscaster for over 30 years (he's old) and he's also a columnist for the Examiner in Washington... and he's a fill-in analyst on MASN's Nats Xtra pre- and post-game shows. So journalism and broadcasting have kind of been around me my entire life. It's been difficult to avoid.

I wrote for my high school paper for two years and have been at The Towerlight since last year. I also have an internship at MASN with the Nationals broadcasting team through the end of the season, which is awesome because they pay me real well and I get to watch baseball.

I'm taking this class mostly because I have to for my chosen track, but I hope to be able to learn more about online publishing. My only real experience is with print journalism - I've never really published online too often and I know that's where the business is heading.


Also, I'm a really huge nerd. The title for the blog comes from a scene in the old anime series Mobile Suit Gundam.
WE'RE JUMPING ON TO WHITE BASE!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

1 comment:

Professor Atwater said...

Hi Carrie,
I think you have great goals. My dad was a journalist, too, so I konw all about growing up surrounded by it!
Not sure what to say about the anime stuff. :)