Monday, February 23, 2009

Following the Formula

Baltimore Sun: Suburban Federal's short, sharp fall

This story definitely follows the Wall Street Journal Formula. The lead features a single person who was effected by Suburban Federal and moves into the main point of the story through the nut graph. With the use of quotes and general information, it gets the main point across and at the end it goes back to how the problem has hurt specific people.



Back to the beat: FEATURE STORY

For my feature story, I'll be writing a profile on a cosplayer who's a freshman at Towson. His name's Billy Saccardi and though he's fresh to the cosplay scene, he's already made his mark.
This fits my beat because cosplay - short for "costume play," where people dress up as their favorite characters - is a big part of the convention scene.

Sources I'll be using for the story will be Billy, of course, as well as Alex Li - also a cosplayer, but he was a cosplay judge at Towson's own Tigercon and saw Billy's craftsmanship up-close. I'm not sure who I'm going to use for the third source yet, but I'm working on it.

The photo should be fun since I'll hopefully be able to get a shot of him in one of his costumes.

4 comments:

rachel rothwell said...

Good story idea...seems well planned out1

Cait said...

Interesting idea but I am out of the loop. What's cosplay?

Ariel Gononsky said...

This sounds like it could be really interesting, especially for people who don't know what cosplay is.

Carrie Wood said...

I did explain it briefly, but I'll copy and paste it for you again:
"This fits my beat because cosplay - short for "costume play," where people dress up as their favorite characters - is a big part of the convention scene."